Healthy Lifestyle Living Learning Community
The Healthy Lifestyles Living Learning Community (LLC) is designed to support a joyful and healthy transition to college. The Wellness Resource Center has partnered with University Housing & Residential Life to create a LLC that incorporates wellness-inspired programming and opportunities to connect with peers and professionals on campus focused on health promotion.
Temple's Healthy Lifestyles LLC enhances students’ academic, personal, and professional growth by offering them a community space with the support of like-minded students, a trained and experienced Peer Mentor, and Wellness Resource Center staff. Our goal is to promote a variety of intentional learning experiences that go beyond the classroom – where students can explore practical and relevant life skills.
Is the Healthy Lifestyles LLC a good match for your first year at Temple?
This LLC explores all eight dimensions of wellness and encourages students to practice new wellness behaviors that will enhance their experiences on campus. We also promote dialogue between LLC residents about academic and social issues. The LLC’s Peer Mentor is someone who has lived in the LLC before and has a passion for holistic wellness and connecting students with resources and opportunities on campus.
What are residents of the Healthy Lifestyles LLC expected to do as a member of the community?
- Participate in scheduled on-campus and off-campus learning opportunities and activities
- Enroll in a 1-credit first year experience seminar class, taught by the Wellness Resource Center staff and peer mentor
- Bring an enthusiastic and open-minded perspective, as we hope students will engage in new strategies to promote holistic wellness
- We encourage interested students to apply to be HEART Peer Educators so they can grow as leaders and support positive norms and behaviors among the campus community.
What does it mean to be a part of this LLC?
Being part of the Healthy Lifestyles LLC connects new students with like-minded peers who have an interest in cultivating and maintaining holistic wellness while at Temple University. This LLC fosters community and friendship through activities and experiences such as:
- Grocery shopping tour
- Trips to Philadelphia landmarks
- Scavenger hunt of on-campus resources
- Yoga in the park
- And more!
Healthy Lifestyles LLC residents are encouraged to attend programs and events organized by the Wellness Resource Center. Some of these events include:
- Wellness Day - De-stress with therapy dogs, massages, and get connected to on campus mental health resources.
- LoveTU - Enjoy a night of song, dance, and poetry performed by fellow Temple Owls to uplift spirits, cultivate community, and enhance well-being.
- Clothesline - Survivors of interpersonal violence and community members creatively bring awareness to the issue of violence by decorating t-shirts with empowering messages.