Join our Spring 2020 Cohort! Applications are now being accepted - the deadline is Friday October 4, 2019!
Please note: The application is a Google Form - be sure to be signed into your Temple Google account to access.
Peer education gives students an opportunity to promote well-being, cultivate community, elevate their voices, and be agents of change on our campus. Temple students receive influential messages from peer educators who facilitate wellness programs, participate in campus outreach, and support Wellness Resource Center initiatives.
Here’s what you need to know about becoming a Health Education Awareness Resource Team (HEART) Peer Educator:
- Peers are nationally certified after taking SBS 2304, a 3-credit course held at the WRC on Wednesday evenings during the Fall and Spring semesters. Learn about mental well-being, alcohol and other drugs, sexual health, interpersonal violence, and other wellness topics that impact college students.
- The course and peer meetings help students gain practical experience through several experiential learning hours and one office hour per week outside of class time. You’ll be given the opportunity to assist with event planning and implementation, campus outreach, and raising awareness on campus through resource tables.
- Receive training in two established peer facilitated programs so you can facilitate important conversations with fellow Owls and student groups.
- Take the Certified Peer Educator (CPE) exam at the end of the semester to become a nationally certified peer educator.
What are some characteristics of an effective HEART Peer Educator?
- You consider yourself a team player
- You are reliable and responsible
- You have a willingness to speak in front of an audience or to develop public speaking skills
- You are interested in health promotion and creating a healthier and happier campus community
- You strive to be a non-judgmental role model (and role model does not mean perfect!)
What are some reasons to become a HEART peer educator?
- You want to elevate your voice around important health and wellness topics impacting your friends and peers
- You are exploring ways to enhance your resume with new and in-demand skills
- You are interested in receiving training in wellness content areas, as well as public speaking and facilitation skills
- You want to expand your personal and professional network and develop additional supportive relationships
The opportunities continue beyond successful completion of SBS 2304. HEART Peer Educators are offered multiple ways to stay engaged and create positive change:
- Peer meetings on Wednesdays from 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm - this is an opportunity to learn more about trends in health promotion, celebrate successes with fellow HEART peers, and learn about campus events and resources.
- Assist with the development of WRC programs, workshops, and events
- Promote and participate in programs, events, and campus outreach opportunities
- Facilitate peer programs and workshops
Ready to Become a Peer Educator?!
- Just complete the application
- You will then be contacted regarding an interview held at the WRC
- Once accepted, you will enroll in the next available offering of SBS 2304
Promote well-being and cultivate community by becoming a HEART Peer Educator!